5.19.2009

The Great Dictator - 1940


Rated - G
125 min.

Banned in Germany, Ireland, Spain (I'm sure there's more, but those are the only ones I know for sure.) This is a brilliant movie. Anyone who's ever learned about Nazi Germany should be forced to view it. As far as I am concerned there are only three WW2 movies: All quiet... , Stalag 17 and the Great Dictator. But enough about me and my love of zee nazi flick. This movie is a spoof of Hitler's germany, as well as Hitler's rise to power. But of course Charlie Chaplin's humor is steeped throughout the film. The slap stick and wize quips. All of which combine into, what I believe is his finest work.
Sadly, in Charlie's time, this movie got horrible reviews, mainly due to the "too soon?" effect. (notice the date it was released... 1940. pearl harbor was on Dec. 7th 1941...) But the film has legs. It's longevity will pass down from generation to generation. It's immortality wil help remind us of the horrors commited by the Nazi's, remind us to never repeat that past and... as always... to laugh.
Instead of hunting down for a trailer of The Great Dictator, I've posted the ending monolouge. It could possibly be one of the greatest endings that I have ever seen. Please take the time, and enjoy it.
"We've just discovered the most wonderful, the most marvelous poisinous gas. It will kill everybody. "

_________________
OWN IT

No comments: